Monday, March 28, 2011

You're strong. I know because when you kick me it hurts.

It has been a while, little girl, since I have written to you. Don't be offended, though. Nothing too exciting has been going on for me to share with you (besides you growing and kicking in my gut, obviously.)

I am 34 weeks prego now. Dang. That's pregnant.

You like to put your feet underneath my ribs. It's fun for you. I used to get a little upset by this seeing how it causes me some considerable discomfort, but I got to thinking about it, and I realized your entire body is crammed inside my belly. You gotta put your feet somewhere.. So.... for now, the ribs will do.

I do have a little news in my life. I started doing stand-up recently. That's right. Stand-up comedy. Your mom is a professional at being funny now.

Actually, I'm nowhere near a "professional." I have just done a couple of open mic nights and make no money doing them, but I perform more for the experience than anything else. I talk about being pregnant mostly. You make me very entertaining. So, thank you for that.

Uh oh... Wait a minute... I think I sense something...

Can you feel a life lesson coming along? I think I can....

In life.... (oh gosh.. yep....another mom advice session) you have to make yourself do things you do not want to do. I'm not saying you should go wrestle a wild and rather irritated tiger because it is something you really do not want to do. I am saying, though, that there are going to be times when there is something that you do not necessarily have to do. You could say no. You could make up some excuse. You could continue your life as it is because that is the life you know and feel okay about, but deep down you will know that you should do whatever this thing is because, if not, you risk always wondering "what if?" If you don't do it, you won't push your own limits and grow as a person. You won't teach yourself how to face challenges. You risk becoming a person that always settles.

I really really really did not want to do stand-up right before I walked up on those stages. Right before it was my turn, I was DREADING going up there. I just knew I was dumb and the most unfunny person that has ever existed and that people were most definitely going to punch me in the face for wasting their time while I rambled on about some pointless thing in my life that I thought was interesting. BUT I went up there anyway because there was a part of me that desperately wanted to and truly needed to. And I am so glad and proud of myself for it. My parents didn't make me do it. No teachers told me I had to. No one said they would be disappointed in me if I didn't try. It was all me. I made myself. And that's how I know that while, yes, I can be weak and lost at times, I am overall a strong woman. And so are you.

Stay strong, Madelyn. And have fun.

Just a little more time left before you leave my belly (and my ribs) and you face the world. It is pretty exciting stuff. So get excited!!!!!!


-Mommy

Our family at 34 weeks

No comments:

Post a Comment