Hey Little,
So you are almost 13 months old. You are at one of the cutest moments in your life, so far. You laugh and talk (your own little language, that is) and point and dance and walk and fall all the time. You constantly move and make your presence known, and I would not have it any other way. It's so entertaining.
I have something on my mind, and this is it: When you grow up, I want you to be smart. It's important to be impulsive sometimes and fun sometimes and goofy sometimes and even a little ridiculous sometimes, but it is VERY important to be smart. What kind of smart? I'm talking smart with your life plans. I'm not telling you that you have to have this huge elaborate life plan that involves you making tons of money. I'm just saying that it is very important for you to have your own life and your own money and your own passions and your own beliefs that do not depend on another person. I am at a point in my life where I do not have stable income without your father. Luckily, I love your father so I'm not worried about losing him or his financial support. I still wish, though, just for my own sense of self-worth that I had my own career and my own money (that I would share with your father, as he shares with me, of course). I believe a woman should be able to support herself, even if she is married, in case something were to happen to her husband or if something happened in her marriage. Women should be just as self-reliant as men. We are just as smart. Just as hardworking. And we deserve to experience the fulfillment that comes from being self-sustaining. I just hope that you will be smarter than I was and be financially stable before starting a family. While being your mother is by far the most rewarding thing I have ever done, I sometimes wish I could give you more. I want to be a great mother and great role model, and to be a great role model I feel I need to lead by example. I want you to be successful (in whatever path you choose) and I believe you need to see a woman doing her own thing and being the best at it. Your Mimi is a great example of that, but even she got started in family life a little too soon and it's taken her longer than I want it to take you to find your career path.
Basically, I'm saying I want you to be a Bad-A B ("bad-ass bitch") and not depend on a man. And I hope you find a man when you are ready who will, like your father, be willing to work ridiculously hard to give you the life you want. I just hope you won't need a man. Is that making any sense?
Ok. I should go.
I love you. So much.
Be strong.
Be the best you can be.
Love,
Mommy
No comments:
Post a Comment